Susan’s law practice focuses on employment law.
- Susan helps clients avoid litigation and reduce exposure for employment claims. She works with employers to prevent employment claims by developing and implementing appropriate policies and procedures, and by managing employment issues as they arise in the working environment.
- She provides counsel and advice to clients in evaluating employees and addressing employee performance issues.
- She assists employers in investigating employee misconduct, including the investigation of sexual harassment complaints.
- Susan has provided training for human resources managers on a variety of topics, including handling leave requests, complying with the ADA and FMLA, disciplining employees, and addressing employee substance abuse.
- Susan has experience in issues that arise after an employee's separation from employment, such as the enforcement of non-compete agreements and the drafting of severance agreements.
- She has represented national and regionally based corporations, and locally owned private companies in a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, publishing, hotel and restaurant, automobile dealerships, and distributing.
- Susan is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Central Districts of Illinois. Susan served on the Electronic Case Filing Attorney Advisory Group for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- University of North Carolina
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Psychology
Classes & Seminars
- ADA - Back to the Future," Employment Law Forum, 2009
- Privacy: From the Toolbox to MySpace,” Employment Law Forum, 2008
- Pitfalls in Handling and Retaining Electronic Documents,” Employment Law Forum, 2006
- Mediation: An Advocate’s Perspective,” MoBar Labor Law and Employment Forum, 2005
- How the Jury Views the World,” Employment Law Forum, 2005
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri , 2002 to 2006
- Trustee, Deaconess Foundation, 2004 to 2010
- Trustee, Eden Theological Seminary
- President, Alumni Executive Committee, Washington University School of Law
- Member, National Council, Washington University School of Law
- Lecturer, Washington University Graduate Program in Nonprofit Management, 2007 to 2010
- Board Member, Deaconess Parish Nurse Ministries
- Board Member, Missouri Lawyer Trust Account Foundation
- Distinguished Young Alumna Washington University School of Law
- Board Member, Friends of the Missouri Botanical Garden
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- Susan Nell Rowe, Jennifer J. Raymond & Doreen D. Dodson, Prohibition Against Harassment in the Workplace, in MO. EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION §§ 3.1-3.19, 2008
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Missouri Bar, Member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Member
- Lawyers’ Association of St. Louis, Member
- Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis , Member
- National Council, Washington University School of Law
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Board of Directors, 1998-2006, President, 2004-2006
- Employment Law
- Missouri, 1983
- Georgia, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- “Woman of the Year,” Women’s Justice Awards, The St. Louis Daily Record
- R. Walston Chubb Award, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc.
- Equal Access to Justice Award, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc.
- Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment
- Missouri SuperLawyers